Finding quick and easy dinner recipes is like finding simple DIY projects for your home. They’re super rare, and even when you think you find one, it’s probably a trap.
That’s why this meal is perfect—you can make it as easy or complicated as you want. Use pre-cooked polenta with a jar of your favorite store-bought tomato sauce, and I swear you can get this on the dinner table in less than 40 minutes. If you have extra time or extra patience, add more chopped veggies, cook up polenta from scratch or experiment with homemade sauce.
Now, I promise it’s delicious, but it’s not the most photogenic dish in the world.
Spicy Chicken Sausage and Peppers with Cheesy Baked Polenta
Time: 40 minutes
– 1 package fully cooked chicken sausages
– 1 green bell pepper
– 1 small onion
– 1 tsp. minced garlic
– 1 tbsp. olive oil
– 3/4 cup Spicy Red Pepper Pasta Sauce (or any tomato sauce would work)
– 1 roll plain pre-cooked polenta (18-ounces)
– Shredded mozzarella cheese
– Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
– Slice polenta roll into thin disks, about 1/2 inch thick. Spray the bottom of a baking dish with cooking spray or coat lightly with olive oil. Layer polenta rounds to cover the bottom. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Add a second layer of polenta rounds and cheese, continuing until the roll is gone. Add a final sprinkling of cheese.
– Pop the polenta into the oven and bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is browned and bubbly. You may need to turn on the broiler for a few minutes at the very end.
– While the polenta is baking, chop your chicken sausage into bite-size pieces along with the bell pepper and onion.
– Add olive oil and minced garlic to a pan. Stir the garlic for two minutes. If you want to make this extra spicy, toss in a bit of red pepper flakes at this point.
– Add your sausage, pepper and onion to the pan. Stir and cook for 10 minutes until sausage is heated through and veggies are softened.
– Pour in tomato sauce and continue stirring until heated through.
– Once polenta is done baking, slice into rectangles and place on plates. Cover with sausage and pepper mix. Enjoy!
COOKING TIP: If you cook for just one or two people, like me, you know that SO much can go to waste. When you go grocery shopping for this recipe, pick up your favorite pizza crust or dough at the same time. Use half the sausage, mozzarella and pasta sauce to make a smaller portion of this dish. The next night, you’ll have plenty of ingredients left for an easy homemade sausage pizza. No leftover ingredients, and you’ll save on the grocery budget too.